Book Buddies has been very busy getting ready for this year’s book celebrations in elementary schools. We have enough books this year to give every child in eight elementary schools several books to take home to start their very own libraries. This doubles the number of schools served last year and means we will provide 3,895 children with books to read over the summer!
We could never have done this without the help of all our friends who held book drives across San Antonio and even in outlying towns. Books that came to us in April and the first week of May include:
- Through the generosity of Ford’s “Driving Dreams” program, First Book has sent us one hundred brand-new children’s books. Thanks, Ford!
- Our good friends at Half-Price Books provided ten large boxes of books through this year’s Half-Pint Library Book Drive.
- Lynette Baker and her girl’s book club, the Page Turners at Providence Catholic School, again collected books and presented Book Buddies with a cash donation.
- Also again this year, Pearson ran a book drive and their volunteers came and sorted their books and others on April 25.
- Al Koppen of Boerne continues to include us as the beneficiary of the children’s books he collects as an independent one-man book drive.
- Bluffview HOA again raised books through a neighborhood book drive.
- Wells Fargo added to their previous drive with more boxes of books.
- Enterprising students at O’Connor High School in the Northside ISD collected about twenty boxes of books! A reason for their success: artistically designed collection boxes, which they donated to us for future drives. Outstanding work, O’Connor students!
- Through the work of tireless and dedicated Kathy and Tim McPherson, Oak Hills North Church has provided several boxes.
Many, many thanks to all the wonderful people who have run these drives, transported books, sorted, counted, packed, and labeled – and generally gotten twenty thousand books ready to go out the doors of Book Buddies World Headquarters in the next weeks. It is a big job, but our volunteers and friends have come through like the champions they are! And nearly four thousand excited kids will be new book owners.
Jane Welch, Book Buddies Coordinator
Pictured below: Enterprising students at O’Connor High School and volunteers from Pearson