Book Buddies have been busy gathering and sorting books in the run-up to our giveaway celebrations at the end of the school year. Volunteers are doing their best to make sure we reach our goal of twenty thousand books by the time they go off to the elementary schools to be picked by the students. At last estimation, we have only about 4 thousand to go, with several drives coming in this month. However, we never have enough for every child who would benefit from books to read over the summer!
So if you can run a quick drive or know of a source of gently-used children’s books – please mine that source quickly!
In March, several groups gave us books and other assistance:
- Al Koppen, who collects books in Boerne for a number of groups, gave us his children’s books and will be donating kids’ books regularly to Book Buddies. Thanks, Al!
- Books also came in from Wells Fargo, who sent a great group of employees over to Book Buddies World Headquarters to sort and box up lots of books, thanks to coordinator Tonya Clark.
- A group from the Air Force at Lackland donated books.
- Twenty students from the Gifted and Talented programs at Northside ISD high schools brought books and also sorted hundreds of books for us. (They also organized our empty boxes and straightened up the place generally – talk about gifted and talented!)
- Ashley Furniture stores has just finished a month-long drive.
- ETS has held a drive again this year, and they are sorting and counting the books they collected before delivering them to Book Buddies. Thanks, ETS!
- Concordia Lutheran Church has given us a load of books.
- And last but far from least, the wonderful faculty and students of Indian Springs Elementary School, led by kindergarten teacher Jaime Ringlein, provided 20 boxes from their school’s book drive!
Drives we know of that will be completed in the next couple of weeks are being held at Pearson Assessment and RVK Architects. We’re excited to see so many organizations getting on the Book Buddies bandwagon!
A huge THANK YOU to everyone who is working so hard to make this year a success and providing more books to underserved children in Title I schools! With all of your help, Book Buddies will continue to grow and add more schools to our list every year.